In honour of my dear “lifers” – the girlfriends I’ve known since preschool, I’ve gathered up seven quotes by famous people on friendship.
What brought this on, you ask? Well, recently we girls had a weekend reunion. We’ve done this every two years or so since 2012, which we called “The Year of the Cougar.” That year, our little reunion was the first of its kind in 25 years. Many of us hadn’t seen each other in a decade or more. And since that get-together, we vowed we would never go that long again without seeing one another.
The friendship we girls have is unique. Our lives have taken us all down vastly different paths. We all have differing religious beliefs and political views. But when we get together, none of that matters. Distance and time spent apart doesn’t matter. We seem to just pick up where we left off when we get together. On some level, we revert right back to the girls we were in high school. After our weekend get-togethers, we have sore faces and stomach muscles from laughing.
There is so much laughter! We always had a way of making each other laugh, and that has not changed over all the years, all the experiences, the difficulties and tragedies we’ve survived, the lessons learned.
I could go on and on about this magical bunch of girlfriends, but I’ll leave it there for now, and share these quotes with you…
1. In the sweetness of friendship let there be laughter, and sharing of pleasures. For in the dew of little things the heart finds its morning and is refreshed. – Khalil Gibran
2. It is one of the blessings of old friends that you can afford to be stupid with them. – Ralph Waldo Emerson
3. No distance of place or lapse of time can lessen the friendship of those who are thoroughly persuaded of each other’s worth. – Robert Southey
4. I cannot even imagine where I would be today were it not for that handful of friends who have given me a heart full of joy. Let’s face it, friends make life a lot more fun. – Charles R. Swindoll
5. She is a friend of mind. She gather me, man. The pieces I am, she gather them and give them back to me in all the right order. It’s good, you know, when you got a woman who is a friend of your mind. – Toni Morrison
6. I tell young women that it’s not smart to put your ace girlfriends to the side because you have a man in your life. Like my mother would say, “Men come and go. But your women friends are always there for you.” Even if you and he are together for 50 years, you still need your sisters. – Maya Angelou (from an interview with Marcia Ann Gillespie)
7. Friends accept you the way you are. – Marilyn Monroe
And those are seven of my favourite quotes on friendship: one for each of us girls. The words of these wise people pretty much sum up how I feel about my life-long girlfriends, the girls who are more dear to me than I even know how to express. I’ve said it before, and I’ll say it again: friends are the chocolate chips in the cookie jar of life.
Have a great weekend, everyone! Happy 150th birthday, Canada!